On 29 July 2022, after a long process, a new marine protected area was proclaimed in Albania, the Porto Palermo Natural Park.
Porto-Palermo Bay is a unique site in Albania and is home to threatened species included in Annex II of the Protocol concerning Specially Protected Areas and Biological Diversity to the Barcelona Convention.
The Porto-Palermo Bay now becomes the 5th Marine Protected Area in Albania.
List of Marine Protected Areas:
- Karaburun – Sazan, 125.27 km²
- Vjosë – Nartë, 197.38 km²
- Divjakë – Karavasta, 222.3 km²
- Patok – Fushëkuqe – Ishëm, 50.01 km²
- Porto Palermo Bay, 15.50 km²
To view each zone with graphical details, you can drag and zoom in on the map in this page.